Jude Collins

Monday 27 June 2011

Conflict, reminders and don't tell me what to do



A few years back, a man living a few streets away and myself had an unfortunate difference of opinion. It ended with a punch-up in which I’m afraid I came off second-best. One minute we’re exchanging loud words, the next he’s knocking the stuffing out of me. Even worse, since that time four years ago, he keeps reminding me of it.  Not just on the anniversary, which is coming up,   but I’d say at least once a week on average in the weeks before and after.  And it’s not just a quiet mocking word in my ear either. He comes  round with placards and blown-up photographs and stands outside my house waving them. The placards say things like “Guess who knocked the crap out of who back in 2007?” and the photographs show him in various grinning poses, his hands above his head in a victory clench.

Yes, it is pretty annoying. In fact it’s really annoying. I’ve had different advice on how I should respond. Some people tell me to just stay inside and watch Wimbledon on TV, pretend he’s not there.  Other people suggest a counter-demonstration -  go out with my own placards,  with “Enough is enough” or “Clear off, you!” on them.  A year ago, a neighbour who’s new to the area suggested the three of us meet up – him, me and my conqueror – and come to some mutually agreeable arrangement. I said fair enough, since anything would be better than your man marching around outside my house, but he would have none of it. Said the new neighbour had no right to tell him what to do, he had every right to walk on the pavement and express his views on our little set-to back then. And now I’ve had phone calls from some people, I’ve no idea who, and they’ve offered, the next time he comes round, to start lobbing bricks at him.  Talk about from bad to worse.

By the way: did you see where tomorrow,  Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness are meeting with the Parades Commission?  It’s just a pity the Orange Order say the Commission has no right to tell them what to do. 

4 comments:

  1. EIGHT of Bangor’s eleventh night bonfire celebrations will now be deregulated, it has been revealed this week.

    The Spectator understands that a total of eight local bonfires have now pulled out of the bonfire management programme following a dispute with North Down Borough Council. 

    This means that over half of the bonfires lit across the borough could be burning hazardous materials such as tyres, white goods such as fridge freezers and children’s nappies.

    The council runs a Bonfire Management programme which awards grants of £1,200 to constituted groups, to host community celebrations in established sites.

    The scheme aims to reduce anti-social behaviour, reduce the cost for the Fire Service and Housing Executive as well as reducing pollution by only using clean burn materials on the bonfires. 


    Taken from the County Down Spectator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When will somebody tell the british taxpayer that your man is going dance around like a fool outside Jude's door for weeks and make an environmentle mess that will cost them millions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could tell you but I would have to charge you a BIG fat fee..should your people talk to my people...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post Jude 'maith thĂș'

    ReplyDelete